For this sandcastle I made sheet cakes for the base and then 12", 8"and 6" cakes for the castle part. Because the wedding was outside I covered the cake with fondant and then used piping gel to attach my "sand", I was afraid butter cream would melt and just make a big drippy mess. For the "sand" I used ground up vanilla wafers and edible gold glitter. The glitter really added to the realistic sand effect. I made chocolate shells and used chocolate rocks to sprinkle around the castle. The turrets are from the romantic castle cake set by wilton. I think it came out pretty great. The best part was that it was an easy cake to decorate. Any flaws in the fondant were just covered up with the "sand".
Friday, June 17, 2011
I was asked to make a cake for a graduation with the theme of "grown up little girl", Steelers fan and moving to Pittsburgh. It took quite a lot of thinking and discussion with family to come up with an idea. They specifically wanted a book so I made it in pink to reflect the grown up little girl theme. You can't really tell in the picture but the book has flowers piped onto the cover. The Steelers pennant is hand painted. I think it came out OK. The suitcase is to represent moving. It must look pretty realistic because Katie tried to pick it up by the handle. I must admit that I freaked out for a minute when she ripped the handle off the cake and broke it in half. I managed to fix it and I think it looks alright. Hope they like the cake!
Saturday, June 11, 2011
Friday, June 10, 2011
I keep getting requests for this same style of graduation cake. I tried to make the math book look like an old leather binding. There are a few cracks in the fondant which makes it look an old leather book. Of course this cake is white almond with raspberry filling- a favorite with everyone!
This week Andrew's teacher had a birthday party for all the students with birthdays in the summer. Everyone with a summer birthday was asked to bring in a birthday treat to share. Andrew stayed up late and created this race car out of cupcakes. I supervised and he did most of the work himself. For being only 9 I think he did a pretty great job!
Monday, June 6, 2011
Saturday, June 4, 2011
For this cake I tried brush embroidery. I read about it in a cake book and watched a demo online. It really was pretty easy. I think that it came out nicely. In the end this cake reminded me of a piece of fabric that I had been given so I thought it was only fitting to use the fabric as a back ground for the picture. I think brush embroidery would look good in colored icing but the customer wanted black and white for a more "over the hill" type of look.