Usually I do not post "how to's". Mostly because everything that I do I've seen somewhere before and everyone seems to have great "how to" videos and tutorials on everything cake. I just don't need to post "how to's". That being said I think that someone out there might benefit from my chocolate fondant recipe. When I first wanted to make chocolate fondant I did lots of searches and tried lots of recipes. Not a single one of them came out great so I made up my own recipe. It is easy and includes only those ingredients that I keep in my cupboard all the time. I don't have all kinds of pictures but here are the simple directions.
1. Pour one 10 oz bag mini marshmallows into a large microwaveable bowl. Add 2 T. water.
2. Microwave for 1 minute and then stir. Continue to microwave and stir at 30 second intervals until marshmallows are all melted.
3. Sift 1 cup cocoa powder over the marshmallow mixture and stir.
4. Sift in powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time until the mixture is too thick to stir.
5. Dump out onto a counter dusted liberally with powdered sugar. Knead until smooth, adding powdered sugar until non-sticky. If your fondant gets a little too dry just add a few drops of water and knead until desired consistency is reached
That's it! It's easy! This chocolate fondant can be seen below on the Oreo Cake. When I roll out chocolate fondant I find that it is sometimes difficult to brush off all the cocoa powder or powdered sugar from the fondant so once the fondant is on the cake I take a damp paper towel and wipe the cake. This makes the chocolate fondant shiny and nicely chocolate colored.
Hopefully these directions help someone out there in cake land!